Do you ever hear of a dish that makes you wonder…What the…?
This is certainly one that I get crazy reactions out of when I tell others I had Tomato Pie for dinner. I kid you not…this is one of the easiest things to make with your surplus of tomatoes.
I wish I had some crazy story to tell you with this one, but I don’t. This is just hands down one of my favorite things.
Serve the Tomato Pie with a side of Arugula Salad with your favorite vinaigrette to keep the meal on a Vegetarian side.
- 1 9-inch Deep Dish Pie Shell (baked)
- 4 medium tomatoes (peeled, diced, drained)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/3 cup onion (I used a whole small onion, diced, I may soften mine a bit in the microwave or sauté them a bit next time. However, they do add texture.)
- Seasonings to your liking…Basil, Black Pepper, Oregano, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prebake pie shell according to directions on package.
- Peel tomatoes and dice them. After they were diced, I placed them in a strainer and took handfuls and squeezed the juice out of them slightly. Runny Tomato Pie is not fun.
- Place tomatoes in the already baked pie crust and dust with your chosen seasonings.
- Prepare the cheese, mayonnaise, and onions by mixing them together.
- Put the Tomato Pie in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese starts to golden up.
- Pull it out of the oven and enjoy!
(I just did all my directions with a “P” word in the beginning. I certainly know how to amuse myself. *smiles*)
Love Tomato Pie!! After I spread the cheese on top of the tomatoes, I like to sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese. Yuuuummmmmm….. I am like you, I like to soften or saute the onions first and always use the sweet onions. I need to make one now!! We have some tomatoes that need picking…..Supper idea solved! Great post.
Why didn’t u tell me about the Parm addition??? Silly Mom. I bet when we saute the onions, it makes them sweeter. Yum indeed!
This makes me want a tomato pie!
Did you ever make one last year? You certainly should try it if you didn’t! I think you would love it!
Love Tomato Pie, too. Would think that my family would love it as they so love pizza but for some reason, they just don’t care for it! Sooooo, there is just that much for me to eat! Yummmmmmmm….
You’re right! You would think that. Do you do anything different to your Tomato Pie?
Tomato pie is absolutely wonderful. Thank you for posting this: the people on my blog will absolutely adore it, since my small town deems itself the “tomato capital of the world.”
The annual tomato festival yields delicious recipes, and one year, we were fortunate enough to come in contact with tomato pie. I think that particular recipe had a lot of basil in it.
Oooooo, “Tomato Capital of the World”??? What other tomato recipes do you have up your sleeve???
Thank you for the pingback! :)