Do you ever hear of a dish that makes you wonder…What the…?
This is certainly one that I get crazy reactions out of when I tell others I had Tomato Pie for dinner. I kid you not…this is one of the easiest things to make with your surplus of tomatoes.
I wish I had some crazy story to tell you with this one, but I don’t. This is just hands down one of my favorite things.
Serve the Tomato Pie with a side of Arugula Salad with your favorite vinaigrette to keep the meal on a Vegetarian side.
- 1 9-inch Deep Dish Pie Shell (baked)
- 4 medium tomatoes (peeled, diced, drained)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1/3 cup onion (I used a whole small onion, diced, I may soften mine a bit in the microwave or sauté them a bit next time. However, they do add texture.)
- Seasonings to your liking…Basil, Black Pepper, Oregano, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prebake pie shell according to directions on package.
- Peel tomatoes and dice them. After they were diced, I placed them in a strainer and took handfuls and squeezed the juice out of them slightly. Runny Tomato Pie is not fun.
- Place tomatoes in the already baked pie crust and dust with your chosen seasonings.
- Prepare the cheese, mayonnaise, and onions by mixing them together.
- Put the Tomato Pie in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese starts to golden up.
- Pull it out of the oven and enjoy!
(I just did all my directions with a “P” word in the beginning. I certainly know how to amuse myself. *smiles*)