Today’s Sundays with Friends is coming to you a little differently today as well. Read on to find out how a new fan, Mark, contributed to today’s Sundays with Friends.
Oh sure. It’s hit and miss when it comes to people enjoying little green peas. Honestly, I love them! Another confession…the hub dislikes them very much (I make them for dinner when I’m irritated with him). *devious smiles*
I recently posted on The Onyx Plate’s Facebook page, which you can find by clicking here, that I was looking for side dishes for a Cook Out we were slated to attend. (That sounds so professional… “slated to attend”.) I received a suggestion from a fan named Mark to make Pea Salad. Pea Salad? (Ha, I just thought to myself that I have everything I need to make another one today! Yay! Ok, back to the story, folks. My apologies.) First off, I knew the hub wouldn’t eat it, and frankly, I wasn’t irritated with him currently, so the devious nature wasn’t there. But, I did know that it sounded great. So, I began the process of my Pea Salad.
Mark’s comment on the status, when asked what goes in his Pea Salad, “Bacon, peas, celery, green onions, water chestnuts, sour cream, toasted pine nuts, a little salt, plenty of pepper, and just a little freshly grated Swiss cheese.” He goes on to write a couple comments down, when asked amount of Sour Cream and Peas, “Yes, 1 regular SC & 1 bag frozen peas. I also prefer pepper crust Bacon. You may want to omit the pine nuts, not everyone is a fan of them like I am.”
So, with Mark’s genius and inspiration now in my head, I proceeded to make my own version. I carried it to the Cook Out and it received amazing reviews! Keep in mind I had never made a Pea Salad before. Sure, I’ve had the peas when Maw-Maw makes her 7-Layer Salad, but nothing like this. Also, one of the men at the Cook Out said that he doesn’t like Mayonnaise, so when I advised him it was Sour Cream, he was very pleased. With this being said…on to the recipe, and thanks again, Mark!
- 1 bag of frozen green peas
- 2 stalks of celery
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 5 pieces of crispy bacon (You could use bacon bits, but you and I both know it’s just not the same.)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup light sour cream or more depending on how creamy you want it (You know I love a dollop of Daisy Brand.)
- 1 tablespoon of powdered ranch dressing mix (Can use more if you want a stronger Ranch dressing flavor.)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dice celery, green onions, red bell pepper, and crispy bacon into bite sized pieces.
- Combine in a bowl with the frozen peas.
- Stir in the powdered Ranch dressing mix and salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to sit for 20 to 30 minutes on the counter, covered, allowing the Peas to thaw a bit. (Yeah, I’m not sure if this helped any, but it’s what I did. Why change something if it worked perfectly the first time?) *smiles*
- Stir in the light sour cream and parmesan cheese.
- Pour into dish and keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
***If you have any recipes you want to submit for the Sundays with Friends feature each week, please let me know! All I need is a recipe, at least one photograph of the dish, and a little short story about the recipe. You can submit it to TheOnyxPlate@gmail.com. Everyone is welcome!