One of the big parts of Keto to us is the meal prep for the week. We plan out the week’s meals, but then we also have to plan out what will be for lunch while making sure it’s easy to heat up at my husband’s work. This week, we ended up doing Fajita Bowls.
While peppers and onions aren’t the lowest in carb, we do watch our serving size of them with each meal. I make up 10 meals on Sunday night, and put the end of the week four in the freezer until Wednesday evening. We’ve tried to keep the meals in the fridge until the end of the week, but the quality definitely diminishes. That’s why we always freeze the last two days, both the lunch and breakfast.
I followed the below recipe exactly, with the seasonings. Feel free, though, to mix it up to your own taste buds and get creative. It is your kitchen, no one else’s. :) You can find the original recipe by clicking here. Simply pair it with roasted broccoli or cauliflower rice.
We like to top our spicier dishes with El Terrifico Tamale Co. White Cheese Dip. It’s low carb, and absolutely the most perfect store bought queso ever. It gets a 23 out of 10 stars from our home. Enjoy!
Fajita Meal Prep Bowls
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Chicken, peppers, and onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic — minced
- 1.5 lb free range organic chicken breast — cut into thin strips
- 2 red bell peppers — sliced
- 2 yellow bell peppers — sliced
- 2 green bell pepper — sliced
- 1 medium onion — sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper
- First, make the fajita seasoning by mixing all the ingredients from the fajita seasoning recipe in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken strips and half of the fajita seasoning. Mix well and set aside for about 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add more olive oil (if necessary) and add onions, bell peppers and the rest of the fajita seasoning.
- Stir fry for 5-10 minutes on high heat. The time will depend on how tender you prefer your veggies to be.