We haven’t had the most amazing experience with almond flour in the past with Keto. It seems every sweet or savory dish that we try with almond flour always has a strong almond flavor. I mean, duh, I get it, but I don’t ONLY want to taste almonds. When I tried this recipe, I was beyond thrilled.
This recipe has been adapted from an Instant Pot recipe I found. It’s for General Tso’s Instant Pot Chicken. However, I didn’t feel like pulling the Instant Pot out the other night. So, I cooked the nuggets until done in the pan, and then tossed in the sauce before serving. It was worth the effort of breading and frying each one of those little nuggets, and it restored my faith in almond flour. Good stuff. Now we need to find a sweet that’s made with almond flour and is still good…
General Tso’s Nuggets
- 1 1/4 lb chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces – I typically use chicken breasts.
- sea salt and black pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup almond flour – you may need more, so just keep it out
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil – you may also need more…think about how much oil you need when frying chicken
- 6 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon of Swerve Confectioners sweetener, or sweetener of choice
- 3/4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes , plus more if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
In a medium bowl, combine the tamari, tomato paste, fish sauce, sesame oil, swerve confectioners, vinegar, red pepper chili flakes, ginger and garlic together. Set aside until you’re done with the chicken.
Season chicken with salt, pepper and 1/2 tablespoon of the sauce/marinade. If you’re not using the sauce, season the almond flour with your desired seasonings. Dip chicken in egg white and coat with almond flour. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes. The 5 minutes seemed to help the almond flour stay on the chicken when frying.
Once oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for 1-2 minutes, until a brown coating appears and the nuggets are cooked throughout. You may have to work in batches. Place on a paper towel when done, to drain the excess oil off of them.
- If tossing in the sauce, just put the sauce and your nuggets in a bowl and gently stir them together. Serve with a side of broccoli cooked the way you like, and enjoy!
*A great variation would be tossing the nuggets in Frank’s Red Hot Wing Sauce. It’s zero carb, and it works out great when craving wings. Dip it in your favorite ranch for the full affect, of course. :) We use the Aldi’s Ranch when not making our own. It’s been the lowest carb. That or the Olive Garden Peppercorn Ranch.
Random Cat Thought of the Day – I wonder what he’s thinking about? I’m thinking it’s about how bad the neighbor’s yard looked that day, and he couldn’t see the bunnies he normally watches across the street.